There's a blog game of tag traveling around some online photographer communities...and I just got tagged. Thanks for the tag, Ms. Samaha! Jenifer is an awesome photographer in AZ and the founder of an organization dear to my heart, Celebrating Adoption.
The good news is you get to find out 8 random things about me. Things you probably wouldn't ask your photographer. Whether those things are of any value to you is yet to be determined! The bad news is, I have to come up with 8 witty, interested tidbits about a somewat run-of-the-mill subject. I feel very uninteresting tonight, with the start of a raging head cold and bad allergies. I couldn't even remember my debit PIN number at the drugstore today. I had to charge my Reese Cups, tissue paper and hand lotion. 8 things? Sheesh. Well, here goes...
1. I am formally, publicly admitting to listening to children's radio...when there are no children in the car. Yes, it's true. I love Kenny Curtis and the Animal Farm on XMKids Channel 116. The music is generally upbeat and happy. It makes me laugh. I have a long commute several times a week and I need all the laughs I can get, don't you? Actually, I have pretty eclectic music habits...right this minute I have a borrowed Shakira CD in and am lovin it. My iPod is a treasured companion and it holds the likes of Eagle Eye Cherry, Kansas, Eagles, Kenny Chesney, Lynard Skynard, Keb' Mo, John Hiatt, Lemonheads, Barenaked Ladies, Chris Tomlin, Paul Simon, a zillion (well, almost) movie soundtracks, some different world music (especially African), some cajun, some zydeco. Ok. Too much information? This is getting boring?
2. I had a photography class in college a million years ago in which I had such a traumatizing assignment for a fairly shy coed that I swore off portraiture for almost 20 years. Thanks to my friend John Lee for bringing me back! Check out his tunes!
3. Wow. That was only 2? Are you sure? My favorite kinds of ice cream are Lemon Custard, Blackstrap Molassas, Edy's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Starbucks Java Chip. But when I was a child at a friend's birthday party, I politely refused ice cream saying, "No thank you, but may I have another piece of cake please?"
4. If I'm trying to concentrate on work of any kind and having trouble, I need to turn the music off. But if I'm driving on snowy, bad road conditions, I need to play the radio REALLY, REALLY LOUDLY to help me concentrate.
5. I check email about a thousand times a day.
6. Someday I will be a published novelist. Someday.
7. I love rain, I LOVE storms and I have been known to chase tornados (please don't mention fact this to my husband or parents should you happen to meet them). My stepsons when we first met a long time ago added this to the "Gosh, dad, she's a bit weird" list when they couldn't figure out why I went OUTside when it started raining or storming and the rest of the world comes INside.
8. Wow, the last one! Are you ready? I have no idea what to say to cap this list off....hmmmm....I loooove color. I love Black and White images. But I have a visceral reaction to color. I live in an area with a large Amish population and so lots of quilters and wonderful quilts. That means we have several excellent fabric stores that cater to quilters. One local store in particular in Shipshewana is my favorite...Lolly's...and I can go in there and just soak in the color. I could stand there for hours looking at all the colors. I could come home with a lot of fabric I don't need for projects I'll never finish because I was seduced by color. Well, I probably should say I HAVE come home that way once or twice. I have the same reaction in front of the paint chip shelves in Lowe's. I repainted my office 4 times...because the color wasn't quite the right shade of deep, rich blue. I loooooove painting the first swath of color on a white wall. OK, I'm guessing you get the point!
Well, that wasn't probably the most interesting 8 things, but hey, that's all you get tonight. In honor of #8 and my love for color and my mention of deep, rich blue...here's an image for you. Not great lighting, but emotion wins out over technical perfection in my book. Tonight it does anyway!